Monday, July 15, 2013

Cole's Birth Story


Monday, June 17th started like any other day. Up at 4:30 am, gym at 5 am for some cardio. Then headed to work.  I was having quite a few Braxton Hicks throughout the morning, but didn't think much of it. By mid morning I texted Ross to warm him that these contractions were pretty intense and frequent, more so than they had been. I also started having more what I thought were 'labor like' cramps. By mid afternoon I was feeling a lot better, extra tired, but contractions had let up.

Originally I was planning on doing one last grocery trip Tuesday after work, but for some reason I thought I should go tonight(monday). By the time I got home at about 6:30, I was exhausted. I sat down, put my feet up and took the opportunity to paint my nails for Cole's arrival on Wednesday. I started getting frequent Braxton Hicks again and I knew it was time for bed. After packing my lunch for the next day and setting out my workout cloths for Tuesday morning (yes, I was planning one last upper body lifting day). I went to bed and not even 15 minutes after falling asleep I was woken up by what felt like terrible menstrual cramps. I didn't think much of it until I noticed I was waking up about every 10-15 minutes to these pains. I started timing them and they were almost exactly 11 minutes apart.

At this point I knew what was coming, but was in denial. Really, 24 hours before my scheduled delivery when my family was all going to be here. So I kept trying to sleep, but with each contraction I woke up and Ross did too(due to my loud deep breathing), he would make sure I was ok, then go back to sleep. By 2:30am on June 18th, I couldn't lay anymore and decided to walk laps around the house. I also went to the bathroom and noticed my mucous plug in the toilet. OK, this is really happening. I timed my contractions at that point-6 minutes apart, so I woke Ross up and told him I was going to call the doctor in 20 minutes(still in denial/shock). So at 2:50 am I called and talked to the on call MD- Dr. Norton. She said to meet her at the hospital. So i took a quick shower, Ross did the same, made sure I had everything in my hospital bag, gave the puppies some love, and we left the house about 3:20am. Ross had to stop at work quick because he was suppose to have an arbitration (like a legal hearing) Tuesday morning, and needed to make sure the other attorney had all the documents.

I can still remember clear as day sitting the the front seat, gripping the "oh shit bar" with each contraction I had while he was up on the office. Finally we made it to the hospital at 3:50am. We got checked in, I changed to a hospital gown, they put the fetal monitors on and the nurse checked my cerivx. 95% effaced and 2-3 cm dilated. "Yes" the nurse said, "you are in labor". At this point contractions were 4-5 minutes apart. After the nurse reported back to the MD, they decided to give me a shot of Trebutaline to stop the contractions(any stronger contractions then what I was having would have been no good for my scarred uterus). It worked like a charm, but the negative side effects hit,  heart racing and shaky like I drank 10 red bulls-not fun. At this point Dr Legino (my MD) had called and decided our C-section was happening at 5:45am- 45 minutes away at this point.

waiting for the MD to call with orders
After signing a million forms, starting an IV, texting our parents and siblings(we waited because it was the middle of the night and we didn't know what was going to happen), and Dr. Legino coming in to say hi, I was in a wheelchair being pushed to the OR, Ross at my side.

We arrived in the OR at 5:45 am. I sat on the side of the table, leaning over Ross and they placed my spinal block. After getting positioned on the table, they prepped my abdomen and Dr. Legino announced at 6:02am he was making the incision. The next 4 minutes were a blur, I had so much going through my head and I couldn't believe this was really happening. Then it happend. I heard the most amazing sound, my son crying. I looked at Ross and we were both speechless and in tears. HE WAS HERE,  Cole Michael Gardner at 6:06 am. They took him over to check him out and clean him up. Ross didn't want to leave my side(amazing husband), but I sent him over to be with our son. He was one proud papa.

first family picture
,
At 7 am we were back in recovery, our son laying skin to skin with me. It was amazing.
I should have know he was going to be like his momma, doing everything on his own time. But, I couldn't have planned it better. We are very blessed that everything went smoothly and our baby boy, weighting 6 lbs and measuring 19.5 inches, was here in our arms.  Ross and I couldn't have asked for more. We are so in love and our lives forever changed and complete.
Gardner, family of 3

4 comments:

  1. Awh this is awesome!
    Gardner, family of 3..LOVE IT :)
    Congrats to you both. He is a perfect peanut!!
    -Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an amazing story! You were a rock star mama working out until the end...and getting through surgery like a champ. Cole is just as gorgeous as his mama. Love you guys so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story!! Congratulations and welcome to Mommyhood!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh I love a great birth story! I hope you are recovering well from surgery. I also had a c-section and I know it took me a little while to get back to normal.

    ReplyDelete